Embracing the new; where risk meets reward.

have faith


My dad's about to do something he’s never done before.


He’s coming out of semi-retirement to front up for his first interview in 25 years - in an entirely foreign industry, and in a brand new role.


I was with him when he got the call about the interview. Incredible news and a much needed confidence boost for him after his unfortunate departure from the workforce. 


Many of our glaring lessons and thought-provoking situations come from experiences close to home.


And this time was no different.


Towards the end of the call, I noticed his demeanour change. I watched on as his shoulders began to slump, his voice lowered, and a nervous expression swept across his face.


He got off the call, telling me “I’m going to be interviewed by a panel of 5 people”... his brief moment of joy had quickly turned into one of unnerving stress and anxiety.


Cue the default feelings of fear and negative self-talk. But here was an opportunity to change the game and practice a new response.


Self-responsibility is an important skill to develop and essential in being able to shift from a reactive mindset to a responsive one.


In my dad’s case, he prepared for the interview and planned to take his metaphorical elephant head-on by acknowledging any nervous feelings with the interview panel. Kind of like a human icebreaker.


What he experienced in the interview was inspiring.


  1. He was prepared and comfortable, he had detached from the outcome, which meant any nervous energy he had left his body as he entered the interview room.


  1. When asked if he was interested in further study after only just completing his first course in many decades, he responded with a resounding yes! The interview panel were shocked. My dad replied, “if you’d asked me that when I started the course, I would have said absolutely not. I was overwhelmed with all the new ways of thinking, communicating, so much new knowledge to learn. Now that I have completed the training and practical experience, I’m excited to continue learning.


These are some of the key skills and traits I noticed in my dad from his growth mindset:

Conscientiousness: He was the first one out of 30 people in his cohort to complete all the tasks and practical requirements, and the first to secure an interview. His trainer told him he was her most committed student. 

Discipline: The training program required a specific number of hours per week. He divided his time into blocks allocating specific tasks to each. He even made arrangements to work from the training centre to have access to his trainer for certain tasks.

Humility: Being comfortable asking for help, he pulled together a team of people to support him through his training program - his wife, sister, trainer, fellow trainees, son and myself to name a few.

Clear Vision: Dad had a compelling reason to embark on this program - he made a choice to navigate a new career that would fulfil him. In contrast to his previous career, this one would bring him joy.




One of the biggest rewards in this life is understanding our purpose and being able to live it every day. Knowing and integrating why we exist and why we do what we do are critical components in finding the courage to take the risk, and the determination to see it through.

Without this clarity, we’re at the mercy of the unpleasant negative self-talk that often comes with facing new challenges.

So the next time you come face to face with the uncomfortable, choose courage. 

Embrace new.

Because my dad did.

And I know it’s possible for you.

Comments

Popular Posts